The BMI Woody Guthrie Fellowship is an annual research opportunity open to scholars pursuing topics and themes related to the life and works of Woody Guthrie. First established in 2005, the program offers an unprecedented opportunity for in-depth exploration into the many facets of Woody Guthrie’s life, legacy, and contribution to American and world culture.
The BMI Foundation, in cooperation with the Woody Guthrie Center, annually awards up to $5,000 for scholarly research at the Woody Guthrie Archives. For more than a decade, the program has funded a variety of extensive research projects culminating in books, essays, lectures, curricula, public performances, artwork, and other classroom materials that illustrate Woody Guthrie’s lasting cultural impact.
For more information and to apply, visit the BMI Foundation website.
BMI WOODY GUTHRIE FELLOWSHIP RECIPIENTS
- Stephen Moore, D. candidate, history, University of California, Riverside (2020)
- Andy Teirstein, composer and professor of art, Newy York University (2020)
- Michael Kramer, assistant professor of history, SUNY Brockport (2019)
- Aimee Bobruk, artist (2019)
- Liam Malloy, independent researcher, Nottingham, UK (2018)
- Matthew D. Sutton, professor of English, East Tennessee State University (2017)
- Jamie Fenton, Ph.D. candidate, American literature, University of Cambridge (2017)
- Laura Hayden, author (2016)
- Gustavus Stadler, professor of English, Haverford College (2015)
- Christy J. Miller, musicology, University of Kansas (2015)
- Will Andrews, lecturer, North Park Theological Seminary (2014)
- William Kaufman, professor of American literature, University Central Lancashire, England (2014)
- Mark Kissling, associate professor of education, Penn State University (2013)
- Mark F. Fernandez, Patricia Carlin O’Keefe distinguished professor of history & chair of the department of history, Loyola University New Orleans (2012)
- Michele Fazio, professor of English and coordinator of gender studies, University of North Carolina at Pembroke (2011)
Learn more about all BMI Woody Guthrie Fellowship recipients.